Nuisance wildlife is plentiful in the Midwest, and we at Holper’s Pest & Animal Solutions are experts in the greater St. Louis area on small animal control. Whether your goal is preventative wildlife control, trapping of a current nuisance animal, or whether you have animal damage that needs attention, we have answers to your questions about wild animal control.
The Usual Suspects
The Midwest is home to many species of nuisance wildlife. These animals vary in size, habitat, and types of damage done to yards and homes. The one thing they have in common is that their presence needs to be addressed at the first sight of one to avoid serious destruction to your lawn and house. Holper’s specializes in wildlife control for all of the following: mice, voles, chipmunks, bats, rats, moles, squirrels, skunks, groundhogs (woodchucks), minks, opossums, raccoons, beavers, and coyotes. Regardless of the type of wildlife control measures you require, we at Holper’s have the solutions well in hand.
Animal Damage and the Culprits Behind It
There are different signs of animal presence and damage evidence to look for in your yard and around your home to determine what type of wildlife has taken up residence on your property.
- Rats and mice–Look for droppings (often in or near corners) and chew marks around baseboards. Their damage is twofold: their droppings create a biohazard in your home, and their chewing damages wood, wiring, and belongings. In your yard, rats will dig holes that are recognizable in that they are two inches in diameter and the pile of displaced dirt will be beside the hole.
- Voles and chipmunks–Both of these small rodents dig holes that are one inch in diameter. They eat the roots of plants, along with your planted bulbs, which wreaks havoc on your landscaping. Chipmunks will also burrow underneath concrete slabs, which compromises the stability of the slab.
- Bats–Although bats will sometimes make their presence known by scratching in the walls and emitting a high-pitched sound, most often the first sign of a bat infestation is the frightening experience of seeing one in your home. Once they gain access to your home through a damaged board or louver vent, the risk to you becomes the biohazard of their droppings (guano) and the danger of a potentially rabid bite.
- Moles–Look for a raised-surface tunnel system crossing your lawn. When digging these tunnels, moles can damage the roots of your grass, causing brown areas in your yard. The greatest obvious damage is the unsightly appearance these tunnels give your lawn, which for many homeowners is a significant investment as part of their landscaping.
Squirrels–If you hear scampering in your attic, or scratching in the ceiling or walls between 5:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. or between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., you quite likely have squirrels in your home. Squirrels create damage to your home when they chew their way in at the gutterline or through a louvered vent. Once inside they can potentially chew wiring and compress your insulation.
- Skunks–In addition to the obvious, distinctive smell of a skunk that has recently sprayed, the best way to determine if you have a skunk is to look for a hole going under your porch. Skunk holes range from a four inch diameter round hole to a three-by-five oval hole. While the damage they can do is very minimal, their presence is not desired due to the risk of startling a skunk and being sprayed by it.
- Groundhogs (Woodchucks)–Look for a large, eight-to-ten inch diameter round hole leading under a slab
of concrete or a shed. The damage to your property by this animal is the compromising of the integrity of the slab or shed flooring.
- Minks–If you own a koi pond, and your koi have recently vanished, you might have a mink on your property. This damage to your costly investment is something you will want to address quickly, or restocking your pond will lead to the same event again.
- Opossums–Opossums often use dens created by other animals, so you will not generally know you have one unless you see it or trap it. The potential damage is if one crawls under your porch and dies, creating both a stench and possible flea infestation.
- Raccoons–Raccoons often enter homes by ripping apart a louver vent and sliding into your attic. They may
also chew their way in at the gutterline or by chewing their way in where the dormer meets the house. Raccoons will sometimes use your chimney as a way to get inside. Lastly, raccoons can take down a piece of the aluminum soffit and create an entry point. Besides the damage created to access your home, damage will be done to your attic when a bathroom area is established for the raccoon(s). This area is a biohazard and also compresses your insulation.
- Beavers–Look for chew marks on your trees from 12-to-18 inches off the ground, as beavers stand on their rear legs when chewing. If you don’t spend much time in your yard where you might see the results of the first gnawing, your first sign of the beaver’s destruction might be completely felled trees!
- Coyotes–The presence of a coyote is usually detected with a sighting, or with the disappearance of a small animal from a yard, even a fenced one. While they do not do damage to your yard or home, when they are hunting nocturnally, coyotes can do damage to your family by taking a beloved pet as their prey.
The Wildlife Control Experts
The one thing all wild animal control has in common is that it needs to be handled by experts, with professional training, materials, and equipment. In St. Louis, Holper’s Pest & Animal Solutions can handle every type of wildlife control, wildlife removal, and wildlife damage. When needed, Holper’s can also serve as nuisance wildlife exterminators. As every wildlife control situation is unique, your Holper’s technician will employ a combination of know-how and trapping skills to give you back your home and yard as quickly as possible. Holper’s will also be able to provide repair and exclusion services for the damage created by the nuisance wildlife. Call Holper’s today at 314-732-1413. Let our decades of experience take care of your animal damage control right away. Your home deserves Holper’s!