Home Flea Control–Why You Need a Flea Exterminator

It boggles the mind to think that it ever occurred to someone to create a flea circus. Who would want to willingly spend time with those awful little bugs? The natural inclination at the first sign of fleas is to look into home flea control, and the best bet will always be the help of a professional flea exterminator.

Fleas 101

A flea is an insect that requires a blood meal to live. Fleas feed on both four-legged animals and humans. Fleas are incredibly tiny, at only 1/16 inch to 1/8 inch long. Fleas are usually introduced into a home by a family pet that has picked them up in the yard and brought the hitchhikers inside your home. Home flea control becomes necessary quite quickly as female fleas can lay up to 50 eggs per day, which fall off the host and onto whatever areas of your home that your pet visits. The fleas you see in your home are the adults, and they comprise only 5% of the total flea population in your home–the other 95% is comprised of eggs, larvae, and pupae, all just waiting to reach maturity and join the other blood-sucking adults. The key to home flea control is breaking the lifecycle of the flea by utilizing a flea exterminator.

Fleas vs. Bed Bugs



Bed Bug

Bed Bug

Quite often when homeowners start noticing small, itchy bites on their bodies, they aren’t sure whether they have bed bugs or fleas. (And some poor souls wind up with both!) Bed bug bites tend to be linear and in groups of three or four, while flea bites generally first show up as small clusters of dots in the ankle and lower leg areas, as fleas can jump seven inches vertically.  Bed bug bites will look more red, hard, and swollen (similar to a mosquito bite).  Fleas will bite all the time while they are around, whereas bed bugs will bite only periodically since a blood meal will sustain them for a few weeks. Either pest requires professional attention right away to get the outbreak under control as quickly as possible.

Prevention is Easier Than Extermination

As fleas can take over your home in a month to six weeks, prevention of an infestation will always be more desirable than treatment to eradicate. If you own a pet that spends any time out of doors, it is imperative that you work with your veterinarian to have your pet on proper flea control measures. While this will take care of most of the risk to your home, it is also wise to have a professional treat both your yard and your home, to greatly reduce the chance of fleas taking a stronghold of your house. The best time to do this preventative yard and home treatment is the months of June and July, as that time is the height of the flea population out-of-doors. Even if those two months are in the past, the preventative treatment can still be applied with good results through early autumn.

Home Flea Control with a Professional Flea Exterminator

Fleas life cycleIf your window of prevention has passed, and you unhappily find your home infested with fleas, the only truly effective way to rid your home of them is through the knowledge and professional grade materials of a flea exterminator. DIYers might think that setting off flea bombs will get the same result, but this is not true–it will only get you about three days of relief. This is due to the fact that your home is infested with four stages of fleas, and these stages require different types of pesticide. The professionals of Holper’s Pest & Animal Solutions utilize both an adulticide and an insect growth regulator, to completely rid your home of all four flea life stages. The pupae will continue to hatch for up to 14 days, so daily vacuuming by the homeowner is critical to the success of a treatment program. Luckily for you, Holper’s has been expertly treating flea infestations in St. Louis area homes for over 30 years. Our thoroughly trained technicians are expert flea exterminators and specialize in home flea control. You’ll be glad you called Holper’s at 314-732-1413 to get your preventative treatment or extermination treatment under way.