You’ve spotted insect invaders but you aren’t quite sure what you have. All you know is that you want them gone…now! The key to removing them successfully is knowing what you are dealing with. If you have wondered “Do I have termites or ants?”, this blog will easily help you identify your pests, so that eradicating your problem can begin.
Termites vs. Ants
- Termites are about ⅜ of an inch in length.
- They can be dark brown or black in color.
- If they still have their wings, the wings will be approximately twice the length of the body. (When termites swarm, they lose their wings, so a pile of wings nearby the insects will be another clue that they are termites.)
- The antennae on termites are straight.
We actually have to differentiate between two types of ants, carpenter ants and odorous house ants, when we compare and contrast ants with termites.
- Carpenter ants are ⅜ of an inch to ½ of an inch in length.
- They can be black or dark red in color.
- Some carpenter ants have wings, but the wings will only extend just past the end of the body.
- The antennae are slightly bent.
- Odorous house ants are 1/16 of an inch to ⅛ of an inch long–much smaller than termites and carpenter ants.
- They are brown or black in color.
- They are primarily wingless.
- The antennae will be bent, just like a carpenter ant.
I Know What I Have–Now What?
Treating termites requires a thorough inspection to discover the invasion extent and the damaged areas that require treatment. Treatment plans should be specific to your home based on the inspection findings, the linear footage of your house, and your home’s construction materials.
The only way to free your home of ants, or any other insects/pests, is to utilize professional treatment. Holper’s Pest & Animal Solutions has been trusted for over 30 years to treat St. Louis area homes using low-impact materials for your safety, as well as the safety of your pets. Holper’s uses a three-point attack on your ant infestation: treating the inside, treating the outside, and using bait outside of your home. Once Holper’s clears the initial infestation, a quarterly service program guarantees to keep your home clear of ants, and many other unwanted insects.
Do I Have Termites or Ants? Call The Professionals
For over three decades Holper’s has been giving St. Louis area homeowners peace of mind with friendly, responsible, and successful pest control services. Whether you require termite treatments, ant extermination, or any type of pest/wildlife removal, one call to Holper’s will get it done successfully. Call 314-732-1413 today!